INFORMATION TRANSPARENCY:A MANAGERIAL PRACTICE TO ENHANCE EMPLOYEE ENGAGEMENT (AN EXPLORATIVE STUDY AT SELECTED HOTELS / ERBIL CITY)
The purpose of this study is to investigate the role of information transparency as a managerial practice in enhancing employee engagement, in the context of hotels sector/ Erbil City. A survey self -administrated questionnaire was distributed on a sample of 80 managers in the supervisory departments of (12) five stars and four stars hotels.
The study concluded that there is a statistically significant impact of Information transparency on employee engagement at the overall level and on the dimensions of employee engagement (Emotional engagement, Cognitive engagement, Physical engagement) with default significance at (P ≤ 0.05).
The study presents a set of suggestions including the necessity of providing clear and two-way communication system between management and employees, and creating an organizational climate that encourages employees to participate in goals setting and decision-making
- Alsharah , Atallah (2014). Extent of Commitment in Applying Managerial Transparency in Jordan Government Institutions, Public Policy and Administration Research , 3( 4), 64-77, www.iiste.org
- Bin Shmailan, Abdulwahab , S. (2016). The relationship between job satisfaction, job performance and employee engagement: An explorative study , Issues in Business Management and Economics ,4( 1) , 1-8 .From http://www.journalissues.org/IBME/ http://dx.doi.org/10.15739/IBME.16.001.
- Darbandi , Houshyar And Amin, Fairoz , (2017, Qalaai Zanist Scientific Journal Vol. (2), Issue (3), June 2017 293-316.
- Goris, J.R. , Pettit, J.D. and Vaught, B.C. (2002). Organizational communication: Is it a Moderator of the relationship between job congruence and job Performance/satisfaction? International Journal of Management, 19, 664-672.
- Hollyer ,J., Rosendorff ,B.P. and Vreeland,J.R.(2011). Democracy and transparency , Journal of polit ,73(4),1191-1205.
- Hoover, G. (2005). Maintaining employee engagement when communicating difficult issues. Communication World, Nov-Dec, 25-27.
- Khaled , Serhan, K. (2016). Administrative Transparency in Public Secondary Schools in Jordan, European Scientific Journal ,12(13) ,157-171.
- Kim , Sung-Bum And Kim Dae-Young , (2017) , Antecedents Of Corporate Reputation In The Hotel Industry: The Moderating Role Of Transparency , Sustainability Journal, vol. (9), ), Issue (6), June pp: 2-15. www.mdpi.com/journal/sustainability
- Knight , Robert (2011). Employee Engagement ,A study of employee engagement at Topaz‟s ,South Dublin Region Service Stations , A dissertation submitted in partial fulfilment of the requirements of the Masters in Human Resource Management , National College of Ireland , Dublin , Ireland.
- Kular S., Mark G., Chris R., Emma S., and Katie T. (2008). Employee Engagement: A Literature Review. Kingston Business School, Kingston University Working Paper Series, No 19
- May, D.R. ,Gilson, R.L. and Harter, L.M. (2014) The psychological conditions of meaningfulness, safety and availability and the engagement of the human spirit at work’, Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 77, 11-37.
- Men , L. R. (2015). Employee Engagement in Relation to Employee–Organization Relationships and Internal Reputation: Effects of Leadership Communication. Public Relations Journal, 9(2). From http://www.prsa.org/Intelligence/PRJournal/Vol9/No2/.
- Menendez-Viso, A.(2009). Black and White Transparency Contradictions of a Moral Metaphor, Ethics and Information Technology, 11, 155-162
- Nidan , Priyadarshni (2016). To study the impact of employee engagement on employee productivity and motivational level of employee in retail sector, IOSR Journal of Business and Management Management, 41-47. From, www.iosrjournals.org IES
- Othman , Abdul Kadir and Yusof , Siti Noraini (2016). The Mediating Effect of Employee Engagement on the Relationship between Work and Organizational Factors and Employee Satisfaction at Selected Hotels , Journal of Applied Environmental and Biological Sciences , 6(5S),73-81 . From www.textroad.com
- Raval ,vasant (2015). Information Ethics: Transparency and the IT Professional, ISACA journal, 6, 1-4
- Robinson, D., Perryman S., and Hayday S.( 2004). The Drivers of Employee Engagement, Institute for Employment Studies, Brighton. From http://www.employment-studies.co.uk/
- Saks, A.M.,( 2006).Antecedents and Consequences of Employee Engagement, Journal Of Managerial Psychology, 21(7), 600-619.
- Schnackenberg, Andrew K. and Tomlinson Edward C. (2014). Organizational Transparency: A New Perspective on Managing Trust in Organization-Stakeholder Relationships , Journal of Management, 42( 7), 1784-1810
- Shuck, B. and Wollard, K.K. (2009). Employee engagement and HRD: a seminal review of the foundations. Human Resource Development Review, 9 (1), 89-110.
- Turilli, M. and Floridi L. (2009). The Ethics of Information Transparency, journal of Ethics and Information Technology ,11, 105-112
- Yang, S. (2007). An integrated model for organization - public relational outcomes ,Organizational reputation and their antecedents. Journal of Public Relations Research, 19, 91–121.
- Yang, S., and Grunig, J. E. (2005). The effects of organization–public relationship Outcomes on cognitive representations of organizations and overall Evaluations of organizational performance. Journal of Communication Management, 9, 305–325.
It is the policy of the Journal of Duhok University to own the copyright of the technical contributions. It publishes and facilitates the appropriate re-utilize of the published materials by others. Photocopying is permitted with credit and referring to the source for individuals use.
Copyright © 2017. All Rights Reserved.